After a gap of more than nine months, schools and colleges in Karnataka reopened for students on Friday with strict COVID-19 safety regulations.
While regular classes started on Friday for PUC class 10 and sophomores (class 12), who will face board exams; students in grades 6-9 came to the campuses for the Vidyagama program, which allows for continuous schooling.
Wearing masks, students with consent letters from their parents were seen entering classes after heat checks and disinfecting their hands at PU schools and universities across the state.
Also within classes, students were seen sitting maintaining social distancing.
According to reports so far, with Friday being the first day, also New Years, not all students attended classes.
While there was opposition from certain sections on the opening of PU schools and universities amid the prevailing pandemic situation, others, including the Minister of Education, Suresh Kumar, were of the view that the opening of schools and universities along with preventive measures were necessary. for students, especially in rural areas, with online services. education is mostly not available and cases where they are forced to work.
PU schools and universities have been closed in the state since March, just before the nationwide lockdown was first enforced to combat COVID-19.
Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa said the school and universities are restarting in the interest of the educational progress of students.
“Happy New Year everyone. In the interest of students’ educational progress, classes 10 and 12 will begin today, Vidyagama will also be restarted for students in classes 6 to 9. All necessary arrangements have been made for the student safety, use masks, maintain social distancing, cleanliness and cooperate with the government, “he said in a tweet.
Anxious parents were seen accompanying their children to schools, while teachers welcomed students and guided them regarding safety protocols that must be followed.
Classrooms and school and university facilities were disinfected before classes resumed on Friday.
Primary and Secondary Education Minister S Suresh Kumar, who visited PU schools and universities in various places, also inspected the arrangements and interacted with students, said that parents need not worry as all the measures of necessary precaution.
“There is a scene of celebration and joy in the school grounds … the concern that there is among some parents does not go away easily in a day it will be there, so I tell you two things, those who still have concerns send their children to schools once resolved, as it is not mandatory, and those who send to schools do not worry, there are precautionary measures, “he said.
“On the concern around the second wave and the UK variant, I have spoken with members of the expert committee, there is no need to worry, it is not more dangerous than the previous COVID variant, the same precautionary measures will be maintained and the vaccines that are being received will be able to address it, “he added.
Expecting 40-50 percent attendance on Friday, the Minister also said that we do not expect good attendance on the first day itself, as attending classes is not mandatory, furthermore (Friday) is a New Year, many may want to come to classes from Monday.
He also said the department was reflecting on creating a surveillance team in all districts to visit schools and verify precautionary measures and look for deficiencies, if any.